Thursday, October 5, 2017

17 Bean Soup (with modifications)

I was inspired by my kids' love of beans (and thriftiness!) to make a large pot of bean soup.
I found the original recipe here, and made my own adjustments.

17 Bean Soup

1 lb. of beans ( I used 17 Bean Soup mix)
64 oz of vegetable or chicken stock (I used water ((which I reduced)) & chicken bouillon cubes)
1 large onion – chopped
4 stalks of celery – chopped
4 carrots – chopped
1 green or red bell pepper – chopped (instead I used a whole bag of frozen pepper & onion blend)
1 tsp. dried basil
4 cloves garlic – crushed or chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning (I just threw in a bunch of dried oregano & parsley)
1 can/jar of chopped tomatoes (diced, Italian-spiced - garlic & basil)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

I sometimes add a hunk of boneless pork shoulder, smoked ham hocks, or neck bone.
One could also add barley to this mix, as the original suggests.

Directions: Here's where I really improvised.
Soak beans overnight (or a couple days - just remember to rinse each day).
Throw everything in the slow cooker! Add ham halfway through.
Serve topped with shredded cheddar. Or with cornbread.

Result?  A meal where both my girls kept saying, "Yum! Mmm!"

InstantPot variation: Add all ingredients (including unsoaked beans), pressure-cook on High, 40 min, with 15 min slow-release. 


No comments: